A Ventura educator died Sunday morning when a vehicle struck him. Authorities arrested the woman who drove the vehicle on suspicion of driving under the influence.
Shante Chappell, the 23-year-old, made an unsafe turn, according to the California Highway Patrol. She then struck Christopher Prewitt, assistant principal at DeAnza Academy of Technology and Arts. Prewitt was jogging.
Chappell now faces vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence of drugs. Sheriff’s officials said she remains in jail in lieu of a $50,000 bond. She was scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday.
Ventura Unified superintendent Trudy Tuttle Arriaga said Prewitt’s death is a loss to the community.
Before being assistant principal at DeAnza, Prewitt taught social studies at Foothill Technology High School. He also coached the girl’s water polo team at Buena High.
If your friend or loved one was in a pedestrian accident, we suggest you try the following:
• Immediately file an accident report with the police, sheriff or highway patrol, if the agency has not done so at the scene.
• Write down the name, address, insurance information, vehicle license number and driver’s license number of any and all persons involved in the accident. Record names, addresses and telephone numbers of all witnesses.
• Obtain photographs of the accident scene, all vehicles involved (before repairing) and any visible injuries to the parties involved, such as cuts, bruises, and scars.
• Do not discuss the accident or your injuries with anyone, with the exception of your doctor and your attorney.
• Do not consent to a recorded statement or sign any document without first reviewing it with your attorney. Innocent statements made by you attempting to assist an insurance adjuster can easily be misinterpreted and used to deny or minimize your recovery.
• Immediately seek medical attention and tell your doctor the nature and extent of your pain and injury, and how the injury occurred.
Get an experienced law firm on your side. Don’t rely on an insurance company to pay you what is fair. They sometimes expect you to pay out of pocket. We don’t! In fact, we don’t charge a dime unless we win your case. Call AA Accident Attorneys today!
lawyers are experienced in handling car accident cases and will ensure you get your accident injury claim handeld by an experienced injury lawyer.We can provide you with auto accident attorneys in many cities across the United States of America such as Riverside, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, Pomona, Ontario, Newport Beach, and San Jose. See our locations section for all cited represented: AA-Accident Attorneys Injury Lawyer Locations. A California Car Accident Lawyer that will fight for you!