Sometimes it’s tough being seen by drivers. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 4,280 pedestrians were killed in 2010.
As hard as detection is sometimes for drivers to avoid hitting adult pedestrians, the challenge is even greater to see those little human beings who aren’t even as tall as a car window. The NHTSA reports that many children are killed or seriously injured in backover accidents. The short stature of a child makes it difficult for him or her to be seen by drivers, and backover accidents can happen when a vehicle exiting a driveway or parking spot backs over an unattended child. The NHTSA offers some prevention tips to keep kids safe:
- Teach kids that the area behind a car is a no-go zone, and tell them why.
- Teach kids that they should never play in or around cars.
- Keep an eye on kids when they are in or around vehicles.
- Walk around your vehicle, always, before you get in and back it up.
- Pay attention when little kids are around, and be aware you might not see them.
- Teach kids that when a driver gets in a car or starts a car, they need to move away.
- Teach kids to stand to the side of the driveway, not in it, or on the sidewalk beside the driveway so that you, or anybody else backing out of a driveway or parking space can see them.
- Always look behind you and back up slowly in case a child runs behind your vehicle at the last moment.
- Watch extra carefully for kids if you are driving a large vehicle. Large vehicles have bigger blind spots. Roll down your window as you back up so you can hear if kids are near that you can’t see.
- Teach kids that toys, bikes, skateboards, and anything they play with should not be left in the driveway.
- Check your mirrors constantly while backing up. Kids can dash in and move in your direction of travel unexpectedly.
- Don’t rely solely on detection devices in your car, such as backup cameras or warning sounds, to tell you if something or someone is in the way. Always physically walk around your car before you get in and back up.
If you are in an accident, you need support. At AA Accident Attorneys, we provide our clients with the kind of expert legal advice needed to win you results. You can be confident that our Los Angeles car accident lawyers understand your concerns and the challenges facing you California’s crowded and dangerous roads. We understand the issues you face, both as legal professionals and as citizens who share the same roads and like in the same neighborhoods.
We have the ability to represent you throughout the State of California, and have accident lawyers to serve you in places like Orange County, Fresno, Riverside, Sacramento, Glendale, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, and Newport Beach. We will not charge you a thing for our services until your case is won. Call us today for your free evaluation!
lawyers are experienced in handling car accident cases and will ensure you get your accident injury claim handeld by an experienced injury lawyer.We can provide you with auto accident attorneys in many cities across the United States of America such as Riverside, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, Pomona, Ontario, Newport Beach, and San Jose. See our locations section for all cited represented: AA-Accident Attorneys Injury Lawyer Locations. A California Car Accident Lawyer that will fight for you!