During the holiday season, many Americans will be hitting the road. How can you stay safe in intense seasonal traffic? And, what should you do if you’re in an accident over the holidays? Get advice from our experienced car accident attorneys.
‘Tis the season for holiday traveling. In the weeks to come, countless Americans will be loading their vehicles and hitting the road, whether in search of family togetherness or simply a warmer climate. Many of them will be heading to SoCal, where the weather is enticing and there’s always plenty to see and do.
Whether you’re coming to Cali or headed elsewhere, we urge caution on the roads. The holidays tend to be heavy with traffic, and nothing dashes Christmas cheer quite like a fender-bender or full-on collision. In this post, our car accident attorneys will offer some tips on staying safe during all your seasonal travels. And, we’ll advise you on what to do on the off chance you do wind up in a yuletide wreck.
Driving Safely Over the Holidays: Tips from Our Car Accident Attorneys
Here’s what our car accident attorneys recommend for staying safe on the road during all your year-end travels.
- Keep your vehicle properly maintained. Simply put, if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. The last thing you want is to get stalled, or to have your family’s safety imperiled, because your automobile hasn’t been properly serviced. Take it in for routine care and a basic inspection before you hit the road, and make sure you’re up to date on things like your oil change, your tire rotation, etc.
- Don’t drive while distracted. The best way to avoid getting into a motor vehicle accident is to always have your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the road, and your mind on what you’re doing. That means no texting, social media use, or talking on the phone. In fact, even eating and drinking in the car can be sources of peril.
- Rest up. Don’t hit the road in the wee small hours of the morning, especially if you haven’t gotten a good night of rest. Drowsy driving is almost as dangerous as drunk driving, as your reaction time is significantly slowed. And if you do have to drive when you’re not on your A-game, remember that caffeine can be your friend!
- Take breaks. Yes, you want to make it to grandma’s house on time but driving for 10 hours straight really isn’t healthy; you need to get out, give your eyes a rest, and let some blood circulate. We recommend breaking every two to three hours, even if it’s just to stretch your legs for 10 minutes or so.
- Obey the rules of the road. Speed limits and road signs exist for a reason: To keep everyone safe. Make sure you adhere to them at all times, no matter how frustrating it can sometimes feel.
- Plan for traffic. Finally, if you’re coming to SoCal, just be alert that there is always going to be some traffic. You’re not going to be able to totally avoid it, and it’s best to factor that into your plans. Allowing yourself to get angry or frustrated is only going to impair your judgment, and potentially lead to an accident.
These are a few tips that we’d recommend for staying safe on the road this holiday season, whether you’re here in the Los Angeles area or elsewhere. For additional tips, don’t hesitate to call a car accident attorney from our firm. We’re always happy to advise.
What if You’re in an Accident? Additional Tips from a Car Accident Attorney
Even the world’s safest drivers can sometimes wind up in accidents, potentially through no fault of their own; after all, you can’t control the actions of other drivers on the road. As such, it’s important to know how to conduct yourself in the aftermath of a wreck.
Here’s what our car accident attorneys suggest.
- Check for accidents. If you or anyone else in the car needs an ambulance, contact 911 right away.
- Move out of the way. If you can safely move your vehicle onto the shoulder, and out of the way of oncoming traffic, do so.
- Call the police. It’s always helpful to have the police come out to file a report. This baseline of factual evidence will help as you file your insurance claim.
- Give your testimony. Tell the officer what happened, as best you can recall, without apologizing or admitting to fault.
- Stay on the scene. Don’t leave until the officer gives you permission to do so. Fleeing the scene can be a criminal offense.
- Gather information. Take photos of the accident scene and the property damage, if you can. Get names, contact information, and insurance details from the other drivers.
- Seek medical evaluation. Even if you don’t think you need to see a doctor, it’s always wise to get checked out, just to make sure you don’t have any latent or hidden injuries.
- Get a car accident attorney. Filing an auto insurance claim can be daunting under the best circumstances. Make sure you enlist a car accident attorney who can help you through the process.
With these tips, you’re ready to protect yourself, and the integrity of your insurance claim, following an accident. Hopefully, it won’t come to that, but it’s still wise to keep these tips handy.
What About Ridesharing Accidents?
One more thing: Here in SoCal, the holiday season brings an unusually high number of people who take rideshare vehicles and/or rent scooters to get around town. Of course, accidents can happen even when you’re in these vehicles.
If you’re injured in a situation like this, make sure you enlist a car accident attorney who has specific experience with the type of accident you were in. The car accident attorneys at AA Accident Attorneys more than fit the bill.
We’d love to do anything we can to keep you safe and sound over the holidays, even if that means helping you recover from an accident. If you need to speak with a car accident attorney at any time, we welcome you to reach out to AA Accident Attorneys directly.
lawyers are experienced in handling car accident cases and will ensure you get your accident injury claim handeld by an experienced injury lawyer.We can provide you with auto accident attorneys in many cities across the United States of America such as Riverside, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, Pomona, Ontario, Newport Beach, and San Jose. See our locations section for all cited represented: AA-Accident Attorneys Injury Lawyer Locations. A California Car Accident Lawyer that will fight for you!